The term Israel means “to struggle with God” (Yisra-El). Israel is…
- A person. Jacob the patriarch, son of Isaac and grandson of Abraham. He is named Israel by God after struggling with a messenger.
- A place. Israel has been used to name several places:
- The land of Israel
- Kingdom of Israel (united monarchy) (1020 BCE – 931 BCE), the kingdom established by the Israelites and uniting them under a single king
- Kingdom of Israel (Samaria) (931 BCE – 722 BCE), the secessionist kingdom of northern Israelites
- Judea, also called Israel, as it is known in the Christian Bible in Maccabees, the Gospels, and Acts
- The modern State of Israel
- A people. Israel is another term for the Jewish people, no matter where we are or where we come from.
Learn more here: